• I Took My Frog to the Library by Eric A. Kimmel (Viking, 1990). A picture book about what happens when a pet and the world of books collide.
• Once Inside the Library by Barbara Huff (Little, Brown, 1990). Activities and more for getting the most out of the library.
• Check It Out! The Book About Libraries by Gail Gibbons (Harcourt, 1988). This easy-to-read volume introduces children to the library and its many resources.
Mysteries to Solve
• Dot & Jabber and the Great Acorn Mystery by Ellen Stoll Walsh (Harcourt, 2001). Jenny and her dog search for a friend's missing bicycle and end up at a surprise party.
• The Secret Birthday Message by Eric Carle (Harper, 1998). On his birthday, Tim receives a secret message that leads him on a treasure hunt to find his present.
• My Dog and the Birthday Mystery by David A. Adler (Holiday House, 1987). Jenny and her dog search for a friend's missing bicycle and end up at a surprise party.
• Nate the Great by Marjorie Sharmat (Coward, 1972). In this classic early mystery, Nate sets out to find Annie's missing painting.