A rain gauge is a tool for measuring the amount of rain that falls in a given period of time.
Build Your Own Weather Tool!
Use the materials and follow the directions below.
- Clear jar (at least a quart)
- Clear waterproof tape
- Place the ruler inside the jar so that the inches are visible from outside the jar. Make sure the bottom of the ruler is even with the bottom of the jar.
- Tape the ruler to the side of the jar
- Place the rain gauge outside in an open area.
- Check the rain gauge every day at the same time.
- Record in your notes how much rain is in your gauge to the nearest ¼" (.25) inch.
- Empty the gauge every day.