Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with these festive lesson plans, craft projects, books, and activities for the classroom.
Puzzling Shamrock Art Project
Students learn about patterns and puzzles while creating this St. Patrick's Day craft.
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Teach about patterns and puzzles with this unique St. Patrick's Day craft in which students create and piece together a vibrant puzzle.
What You Need
- 8.5-inch by 11-inch white paper, one sheet per student
- Black markers
- Crayons in several shades of green
- 9-inch by 12-inch black construction paper, one sheet per student
- Optional: A pattern of a shamrock for younger students
What You Do
- Before beginning this craft, discuss patterns with your students and show examples.
- Help your students use a pencil to lightly draw a large shamrock in the center of the white paper. Note: Younger students may need to trace a pattern.
- Have your students trace the outline of the shamrock with a black marker so it is clearly defined on the page.
- Students should then use pencils to divide the paper into puzzle-like shapes by drawing squiggly lines that start at one edge of the paper and end at another. These lines can go through or around the shamrock outline. You can control the complexity of the craft by having older students draw 3 to 4 lines across the page and younger students draw only 2.
- Have your students trace the squiggly lines with a black marker.
- Next, the students should cut along the squiggly lines. This will divide the white paper into puzzle pieces.
- The students can color each puzzle piece with different designs or varying shades of green. Each piece should be different.
- Help your students reassemble their puzzles and then glue the pieces to the black construction paper so the shamrock shape is visible again.