Your students will use their own handprints to create the rainbow for this St. Patrick's Day pot of gold craft!
What You Need
- 9- by 12-inch green construction paper, one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch black construction paper, one sheet per two students
- 8.5- by 11-inch white paper, one sheet per student
- Paper plates, one per student or table group
- Red, orange, yellow, green, and blue paint
- Glue sticks
- Gold circle die-cuts, about 5 per student
- Yellow circle die-cuts, about 5 per student
- White crayons
- Optional: Gold glitter
âWhat You Do
- Before class, cut the 9- by 12-inch black construction paper into 9- by 6-inch halves.
- In class, pass out one of each sheet of paper (9- by 12-inch green, 8.5- by 11-inch white, and 9- by 6-inch black) to every student.
- Have your students use glue sticks to glue the white paper to the middle of the green construction paper so the green paper frames the white paper.
- Give each of your students or table groups a paper plate with a little bit of each of the five paint colors.
- Have your students paint each finger a different color. Note: You can instruct your students to follow the rainbow pattern (red, orange, yellow, green, blue) or let them design their own rainbow stripe order.
- Help your students place their painted fingers on top of the 8.5- by 11-inch white paper and press down firmly to make a clear handprint. Have the students lift their hands off the paper very carefully so they do not smear the handprints. Set the handprints aside to dry and have your students wash their hands.
- Have your students use the white crayons to draw a large pot shape on their pieces of 9- by 6-inch black construction paper.
- The students can then cut out the pot shape.
- Help your students write the phrase “Happy St. Patrick’s Day” on the pot shape with the white crayons.
- Once the handprints are completely dry, have your students use glue sticks to attach the pot shape below the handprint. The colorful fingers should show above the top of the pot, as shown.
- Have your students glue the gold and yellow circle die-cuts around the top of the pot, making sure not to cover the rainbow handprint.
Optional: For additional shimmer, have your students add gold glitter to the die-cut coins and the rim of the pot.