These fun and festive Thanksgiving-inspired classroom craft projects let students make great use of their creative styles.
Paper Plate Turkey Hat Craft
Students can get into character as colorful Thanksgiving turkeys after creating this wearable artwork.
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Gobble, gobble! With this fun craft, students can dress up as dinner’s main event in celebration of Thanksgiving.
What You Need:
- White paper plates, one for every two students
- Paints of various colors, including brown
- Construction paper in brown, orange, and red
- Googly eyes
What You Do:
- Cut the paper plates in half and distribute one half to each student.
- Have each child paint the half-circle center of his or her paper plate with brown paint.
- Students paint the scalloped rim of the paper plate with a variety of colors to create the feathers. Paint strokes should be thick vertical lines, one next the other. Set the plate aside to dry.
- While the paint is drying, have students cut a circle out of the brown construction paper for the turkey head. It should be about half the size of the paper plate half-circle.
- Have students cut a small triangle from the orange construction paper for the turkey’s beak and a small strip from the red construction paper for the beard.
- Next, children glue the brown circle in the center of the brown-painted section of the paper plate, then glue on the beak, beard, and googly eyes to complete the face.
- Have students cut two rectangular strips from the orange construction paper, about 6-8 inches long, then fold them back and forth, like a fan, to crimp them. Have students carefully cut several slits at the bottom of each orange strip to create a fringed look.
- Have students glue the non-fringed ends of the orange strips to the back of the hat, one on each side.
- Help each student cut a strip out of the brown construction paper that is long enough fit around his or her head. This will be the band for the turkey hat.
- When all the glue and paint on the hat has dried, staple the band in a loop to fit the student's head and staple the loop to the bottom of the paper plate so the student can wear the hat.