Your students will bring everyone’s favorite February critter to life with this interactive craft.
What You Need:
- Paper cups, one per student
- 12- by 9-inch green and brown construction paper, one sheet of each color per student
- 2- by 2-inch white construction paper, one sheet per student
- Googly eyes
- Black pens or markers
- Craft sticks
What You Do:
- Before class, cut an inch-long slit on the bottom of each paper cup. These should be large enough to fit a craft stick through.
- Have your students cut a strip of green construction paper to fit around the cup and glue it on.
- Students should then cut out an oval from the brown construction paper for the groundhog’s body.
- Next, they will cut a smaller circle with two bumps for ears, as shown, to serve as the groundhog’s head.
- Have your students glue two googly eyes to the head.
- Use black pen or marker to draw a nose and mouth on the head.
- Students should cut a small square from the white construction paper and draw a line down the middle. This will create the look of two teeth.
- Have the students glue the teeth to the groundhog’s mouth.
- Help your students glue the groundhog’s head to the body and glue the body to the craft stick so there is at least an inch of the craft stick visible at the bottom of the groundhog body.
- Have your students gently slide the craft stick into the paper cup and through the slit on the bottom. Now they can move the groundhog up and down so he "hides" and pops out of the ground!