Activity: Help students explore the world of art as both a subject to study as well as one to practice. Students can use newspapers, magazines, or printed-out online images to learn more about the world of art.
- Encourage students to look in a number of places to find images that interest and excite them. Gather these images and bring them into class. (Note: http://www.artchive.com/ is a great site to look for fine-art images).
- Ask students to consider the content or message of their choice and to speak about the form or presentation - what does it look like?
- What are the colors, shapes, and sizes that influenced their choice?
- Is it abstract or concrete?
- Are there figures in it or just colors and shapes?
- How does the shape of the image affect the message?
- Which feature was most important to their choice?