Bring lessons to life with these engaging craft projects that celebrate spring, St. Patrick's Day, Mother's Day, and more!
Mother's Day Flower Card
This Mother's Day craft is easy to make and sure to please moms!
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
This personalized flower card is a special way for students to express their appreciation for their mothers on Mother's Day.
What You Need
- 9- by 12-inch white construction paper, one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch orange construction paper, one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch green construction paper, one sheet per student
- 4.5- by 6-inch brown construction paper, one sheet per student (or one 9- by 12-inch sheet per four students)
- A small photograph of each student
- Optional: Circle and leaf patterns for younger students
What You Do
- Help your students use pencils to trace their hands four times on the orange construction paper.
- Instruct your students to cut out each of their handprints. These will become the petals of the flowers.
- Have your students fold each of the fingers of the handprints like an accordion. When the students unfold the fingers, they should take on a wavy 3-D effect.
- To make the stems of the flowers, the students should cut a 1- by 12-inch strip from the green construction paper. Have your students accordion-fold these strips too.
- The students can then cut two green leaves from the remaining green construction paper. Note: You may want to provide a template or stencil for younger students to follow.
- The students should accordion-fold the leaves.
- To create the center of the flowers, have your students cut the brown construction paper into a circle that's about 3 inches in diameter. Note: Younger students may need a template or stencil.
- Help your students assemble their flowers by arranging their handprints in a circular pattern on the white construction paper and gluing them in place, as shown.
- Have your students glue the brown circle in the middle of the petals.
- The students should glue the green stem below the flower and glue the leaves to the flower’s stem. Set aside to dry.
- Instruct your students to carefully cut a photograph of their faces into a circle.
- Have your students glue the circular picture in the middle of the brown circle in the flower's center.
- Finally, the students can use the markers to write a special Mother’s Day message to their mothers on the top of the card!