More Tips on Getting Through the First Weeks
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
As the first days give way to the first weeks of school, keep these additional tips in mind and you will be well on your way toward a great first year.
- After important rules and routines are created, post them prominently and send copies home to parents.
- Be fast, firm, fair, and predictable in enforcing rules.
- Make sure students understand the consequences of breaking rules.
- Strive to have materials and activities ready.
- Reinforce good behavior by acknowledging it.
- Involve students in maintaining a smooth-running, tidy classroom by creating student helper opportunities.
- Closely guide students during the first few weeks with clear instructions and directions.
- Remain calm and composed.
- Make sure students know what to bring to class.
- Teach academic routines as well as "housekeeping" routines.
- Give students responsibility for their work.
- Communicate instructional objectives and expectations clearly.
- Inform parents of your goals and objectives.