- After important rules and routines are created, post them prominently and send copies home to parents.
- Be fast, firm, fair, and predictable in enforcing rules.
- Make sure students understand the consequences of breaking rules.
- Strive to have materials and activities ready.
- Reinforce good behavior by acknowledging it.
- Involve students in maintaining a smooth-running, tidy classroom by creating student helper opportunities.
- Closely guide students during the first few weeks with clear instructions and directions.
- Remain calm and composed.
- Make sure students know what to bring to class.
- Teach academic routines as well as "housekeeping" routines.
- Give students responsibility for their work.
- Communicate instructional objectives and expectations clearly.
- Inform parents of your goals and objectives.
More Tips on Getting Through the First Weeks
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5