What You Need:
- White construction paper, 12- by 18-inch size
- Watercolor paint
- Cups of water
- Black construction paper
What You Do:
- Have students fold a sheet of white construction paper in half four times -- horizontally, vertically, horizontally, then vertically -- so the creases create 16 rectangles.
- Children write their names, using an assortment of crayons, by placing one letter in each rectangle. The letters should be big and chunky.
- Students should repeat the letters in their name until all rectangles are filled up.
- Hand out watercolor paints, paintbrushes, and cups of water. Then have students fill in the background of each rectangle with paint.
- Allow the artwork to dry on a flat surface.
- For a polished display, mount the projects on black construction paper.