Celebrate spring with lesson plans, crafts, and science activities to help you teach about plants, insects, and weather!
Lion and Lamb Masks
Students create and wear these masks to celebrate spring and be like March: in like a lion and out like a lamb!
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Turn white paper plates into cute lion and lamb masks. Students can choose to become lions or lambs to celebrate the coming of spring.
Note: The materials and instructions below create one mask of each animal for every student, but you can divide the class into lions and lambs ahead of time if you wish.
What You Need
- White paper plates, two per student
- 9- by 12-inch brown construction paper, one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch orange or yellow construction paper, one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch white construction paper, one sheet per 2 students
- 9- by 12-inch pink construction paper, one sheet per 2 students
- Cotton balls
- Craft sticks, two per student
What You Do
- Before class, cut the 9- by 12-inch white and pink construction paper into halves.
- Have your students cut the centers out of their paper plates and discard them.
- To make the lion mask, have your students cut small pieces, approximately 1-inch squares, from the brown and orange or yellow construction paper.
- Have your students glue the strips onto one of their paper plate rims to make the lion's mane. Set these aside to dry.
- To make the lamb mask, have your students glue cotton balls to the second paper plate rim so the paper plate surface is completely covered. Set these aside to dry.
- The students should cut two 2-inch wide circles from the brown construction paper.
- Next, have the students cut two 1-inch wide circles from the orange or yellow construction paper.
- Help your students glue the smaller circles onto the center of the larger circles. These will represent ears.
- Have your students glue the ears to the back of the lion paper plate rim so they peek out from the top of the paper plate, as shown.
- Have the students repeat steps 5 through 8 to create the lamb's ears, using the white construction paper for the larger circles and pink construction paper for the smaller circles.
- Help your students glue craft sticks to the backs of their animal plates to create handles for the masks.
- Your students can put on the mask to become like spring: in like a lion or out like a lamb!