She entered the University of Texas in 1930 and received a bachelor of arts degree with a major in history in 1933 and journalism in 1934. She has been awarded honorary degrees by various universities and has visited the campuses and addressed the student bodies of more than fifteen universities across the country. Today she spends a good deal of time supporting the activities of the Lyndon B. Johnson Library and Museum and the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs on the University of Texas campus.
Mrs. Johnson was married November 17, 1934 to Lyndon Baines Johnson at Saint Marks Episcopal Church in San Antonio, Texas. President Johnson died on January 22, 1973. The Johnsons have two daughters: Lynda Bird Johnson (Mrs. Charles Robb), who resides in Virginia; and Luci Baines Johnson (Mrs. Ian Turpin), who resides in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Mrs. Johnson has seven grandchildren, six girls and one boy.
Mrs. Johnson is the author of A White House Diary, a record of her activities during the years her husband served as president of the United States.
During her White House years, Mrs. Johnson served as honorary chairman of the National Head Start Program to give special training to poor children of pre-school age and prepare them to take their places in the classroom.
Mrs. Johnson was appointed to the Advisory Council to the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration by President Ford. She also served as a member of the National Committee for the Bicentennial Era and as co-chairman of the Advisory Council of the American Freedom Train Foundation.
In 1977, President Jimmy Carter appointed Mrs. Johnson to the President's Commission on White House Fellowships.
Mrs. Johnson is chairwoman of the board of the LBJ Company, which operates KLBJ-AM and FM radio stations in Austin, as well as several cable television stations and other business interests. In 1977, she became a director of Texas Commerce Bank and Texas Commerce Bancshares in Houston. Though the Johnsons were in the cattle business for many years, the LBJ ranch herd was liquidated on May 22, 1973.