Here is an activity to send home as a way to encourage families to take note of the growth and change that is taking place in their children.
Our Family journal
Suggest that parents
1. Ask their children about their interests and listen to their questions before heading out on a family outing or errand. For example: Does their child want to know where mail goes after you bring it to the post office, or where food comes from when grocery shopping?
2. Take photos of their children enjoying their mini adventure, or encourage them to create drawings about the outing when they return home.
3. Collect these photos and drawings in a large notebook.
4. Encourage their children to dictate stories about the experience, which parents can print alongside the photos and drawings.
5. Add new experiences to the notebook, noticing how their children's ideas and explanations change as they grow.