Help Create a New Monster Story!
Send Us Your Ideas for the Story & Watch an Author/Illustrator Bring Them to Life
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Your class can send in imaginative suggestions for characters, settings, and storylines. Post your classes' ideas on our Monster Story Discussion Board by November 7. David will select submissions from classes across the country. Then you can watch him bring the ideas to life in a video demonstration from his studio.
David Costello Invites Your Students to Share Their Story Ideas
Help to get students' ideas flowing by using questions to elicit descriptive words. Below are some suggestions for questions - you can use your own list of creative questions to help students think up truly unique features and descriptions.
- What Should the Main Monster Character Look Like?
- What kind of feet should he have? How Many toes * Are his ears floppy like an elephant or pointy like a cat?
- What color is the creature?
- How many eyes?
- What's its name?
- How did it get its name?
- Is it a girl or a boy?
- Does our monster live in a murky swamp? Under a rock? In the middle of the city?
- Does the story take place in the morning? At night?
- Is it a special day in the monster's life?
Action of the Story
- What is the monster doing today? Eating spaghetti? Making its bed? Reading a book?
- Who does the monster meet in the story?
- Does something happen that makes the monster happy? Sad? Scared? Describe what happened.