The turkey's feathers are made from tracings of the child's hand, creating a unique, personalized Thanksgiving craft.
What You Need:
- Toilet paper rolls, one per student
- Brown and red paint
- Red, yellow, and orange construction paper
- Googly eyes, two per student
What You Do:
- Have students each paint a toilet paper roll with brown paint and set it aside to dry.
- While the rolls are drying, have students trace one of their hands on each color of construction paper so they have three different-colored hand tracings.
- Ask children to cut out their hand tracings.
- When the toilet paper roll is dry, have students glue two googly eyes on each tube, towards the top.
- Students cut two diagonal slits, directly under the googly eyes, that meet in the middle to create an upside-down triangle beak.
- To create the turkey’s beard, have students add a long dab of red paint to the toilet paper roll underneath the beak.
- Then students each glue the three handprints to the back of the paper roll to serve as feathers, staggering them so all three colors are visible.