The House of Representatives first occupied this space south of the Rotunda in 1809, and used it as their meeting room for almost 50 years. In 1857, the House moved to its present chamber, and in 1864 Congress invited each state to contribute two statues of prominent citizens for permanent display in the room. Today it houses part of the National Statuary Hall Collection. For a list of the statues on display, check out the Architect of the Capitol Web site.
Hall of Statues