Try this easy-to-make craft project for your Presidents' Day celebrations. Your students will love wearing their Washington masks.
What You Need:
- George Washington Mask Template (PDF), one per student
- Cotton balls, at least four per student
- 9- by 12-inch blue, red, and white construction paper, one sheet of each color per student
- Red, blue, and black markers or crayons
- Large craft sticks
What You Do:
- Have your students cut out the PDF template pieces.
- Students use pencils to trace the large hat template and the small hat template onto the blue construction paper.
- Students trace the medium hat template onto the red construction paper.
- Students trace the bow template and the head template onto the white construction paper.
- Then they cut out all five template pieces from the construction paper.
- The large blue hat piece should be glued onto the flat top of the white head piece.
- Help your students glue the medium hat and the small hat on top of the large blue hat to create a layered effect, as shown.
- Students use the red, blue, and black markers or crayons to decorate the bow piece.
- Next they glue the colored bow onto the face opposite the hat, underneath the chin.
- They can use the red, blue, and black markers or crayons to draw George Washington’s face onto the head. Include a smile and a big nose!
- Cotton balls on each side of the head, as shown, will be George Washington's hair.
- Help your students glue a craft stick to the back of the completed head so they can hold the face like a mask.