This colorful craft project is the perfect personalized gift for Mother's or Father's Day. Make sure you are prepared for this craft — it can get messy!
What You Need
- Paints in rainbow colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) or a large rainbow stamp pad
- 9- by 12-inch black or colored construction paper, one sheet per student
- 8.5- by 11-inch white construction paper, one sheet per student
- Brown markers
What You Do
- Paint the bottom of your student's right foot and toes with rainbow stripes or have the student step onto the rainbow stamp pad.
- Carefully place the student's foot on the white paper, to the left of the center. Lift the child's foot off the paper.
- Repeat steps one and two with the left foot, stamping this print next to the right so the pinky toes almost touch. The footprints should look like mirror reflections of each other, as shown. Set the footprints aside to dry.
- When the footprints are completely dry, have your students use brown markers to draw the body of a butterfly between the two footprints.
- Have your students add dotted lines from the bottom of the butterfly to the bottom of the paper to represent the butterfly's path, as shown.
- Have your students draw antennae on the butterfly.
- Dip your student's index finger in paint and use that finger to dot the end of each antenna.
- Either write the students' names or have your students write their names beside the butterfly paths.
- Help your students frame the print by gluing it onto a 9- by 12-inch piece of black or colored construction paper.