Make It Rain Experiment
- One-quart glass jar
- One saucer or small plate
- 1/2 cup of hot water
- Six ice cubes
- Pour about two inches of very hot water into the glass jar.
- Cover the jar with the saucer or plate
- Wait two minutes.
- Put the ice cubes on the saucer or plate.
- Watch as the cold saucer or plate causes the moisture inside the jar to condense and form water droplets.
This is the same thing that happens when rain is created in our atmosphere. If the raindrops freeze as they fall, they become snowflakes.
Experiment further with winter storms using the Interactive Weather Maker.