As you welcome infants and toddlers in your program, help them to feel safe and secure.
- Encourage parents to bring special lovies from home,
- Provide small, cozy spaces where children can have some quiet time alone (yet still be seen by an adult).
- Place carpeting on several sections of the floor so that crawling babies can experience the softness and warmth that it offers.
- Display a variety of artwork, including easy, peaceful scenes and objects familiar to children and infants in cribs or playpens.
- Use attractive curtains or shades that will satisfactorily block light during nap and rest times.
- Paint walls green, blue, and white. These colors are cool and non-stimulating.
- Be sure your program has comfy couches, chairs and rocking chairs.
- Provide soft cuddle toys, including soft dolls, textured balls, stuffed animals, and soft puppets. Don't forget the sand and water tables for toddlers.
- Sand and water offer soothing, repetitive experiences for very young children.