Welcome spring with this festive craft that utilizes egg cartons, craft paint, construction paper, and pipe cleaners.
What You Need
- Egg cartons, enough for a line of 4 egg cups per student
- Craft paints in assorted colors
- 9- by 12-inch white construction paper, one sheet per student
- Watercolor paints in assorted colors
- 5-inch pieces of pipe cleaners, one per student
What You Do
- Before class, cut the egg cartons into 4-cup-long sections as shown, one section per student.
- Have your students paint their egg cups using the craft paints. Set them aside to dry.
- Help your students fold their sheets of white construction paper in half.
- Have your students cut a single wing shape from the folded construction paper so the folded edge of the paper is the inside edge of the wing. When the students unfold the paper, they should end up with a symmetrical butterfly-wing shape, as shown.
- Let your students decorate their butterfly wings with the watercolor paints. Set them aside to dry.
- Once all of the paint has dried, help your students glue the egg-carton body to the center of the butterfly wings.
- Students should then choose a 5-inch piece of pipe cleaner and fold it in half.
- Help the students glue the pipe cleaners to the head of the egg-carton body to form antennae.
- Enjoy a classroom full of little spring butterflies!