Resources to help you keep your career goals on target.
BEST OF THE EDU BLOGS
Free Technology for Teachers.
You won’t get a free laptop here, but Richard Byrne will give you heaps of great advice on how to do things like create custom Wikia maps and use online geography libraries.
Teacher in a Strange Land.
EdWeek blogger Nancy Flanagan storms the barricades with opinions on everything from what she terms MOOKs (Massive Outrageous One-room Kindergartens) to Race to the Top to charters and TFA teachers.
MiddleWeb: All About the Middle Grades.
This clearinghouse for middle school teachers is organized around five streams of content: resource roundups; themed blogs; first-person guest articles; reviews of professional books; and interviews with
middle grade experts. Participation encouraged!
BOOKS YOU, AND WE, LOVE
On Your Lists
“A few of my choices for fun and professional reads!” —Allison Hogan, teacher adviser
• The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books Matter in a Distracted Time, by David L. Ulin
• A Repair Kit for Grading: 15 Fixes for Broken Grades, by Ken O’Connor
• Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration, by Scott Doorley and Scott Witthoft
“One for my educational list and one for fun.” —Leann Parrish, teacher adviser
• No More “I’m Done!”: Fostering Independent Writers in the Primary Grades, by Jennifer Jacobson
• Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, by Sheryl Sandberg
New, and on Our Radar
• The Teacher Wars: A History of America’s Most Embattled Profession, by Dana Goldstein
• Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered, by Austin Kleon
• The Opportunity Equation: How Citizen Teachers Are Combating the Achievement Gap in America’s Schools, by Eric Schwarz
• #EdJourney: A Roadmap to the Future of Education, by Grant Lichtman
• You Can Do This: Hope and Help for New Teachers, by Robyn R. Jackson
• Blended: Using Disruptive Innovation to Improve Schools, by Michael B. Horn and Heather Staker
Image: Jeannie Phan
The complete collection of articles, lesson ideas, print-ready resources, and more.