The Dark Is Rising Writing Prompt
3–5, 6–8, 9–12
Points to Ponder
- Do you think Will really experienced the fantasy part of the story, or could he have dreamed it? Give reasons to support your answer.
- Why do you think Will was able to react so calmly to the strange happenings in his life? How would you have reacted?
- Why do you think the author chose to have Will move in and out of his real time rather than enter the fantasy world and stay there?
- What do you think Merriman means when he says Any great gift of power or talent is a burden? How might Will's powers be a burden to him?
- Have you ever felt that the dark was rising in your own life? Describe your experience.