Celebrate the holiday season with these craft ideas for Kwanzaa wreaths, reindeer puppets, snowmen ornaments, and more!
Craft Stick Santa Claus Ornaments
These cute hand-made ornaments will give Christmas decor a holly jolly feel.
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Students create miniature Santas using craft sticks, paint, and a few other adornments.
What You Need:
- Craft sticks
- Paint brushes
- Tempera paint in white, red, pink, beige, brown, peach, black, and yellow
- Black marker
- White felt
- Small white pom-poms
- Red or white yarn
What You Do:
- Have students paint the front and back of a craft stick with white paint.
- Let children select any skin tone color and paint a one-inch section near the top of the craft stick for Santa’s face. Allow paint to dry.
- Students then paint the rest of the craft stick red, including at the top. (This will represent his suit and hat.) Add two small dabs of pink on the face for Santa’s cheeks. Allow sticks to dry.
- Next, students paint a black stripe horizontally across the middle of the stick to represent a belt and a one-inch black strip at the bottom to serve as "boots." Allow sticks to dry.
- Have students dip a toothpick in yellow paint and use it to add a square "buckle" to the belt and two "buttons" above the belt (over the red paint).
- Next, students draw two eyes with a black marker. Allow sticks to dry.
- Students then cut three strips of white felt, each about one inch wide. Have them glue one strip above the black boots, one below the black belt, and one below the red hat.
- Students next cut a beard from the white felt and glue it to the face. Small children may need assistance.
- A white pom-pom should then be glued to the top of the hat.
- Finally, students glue yarn to the back in a loop to serve as a hanger. Hang the ornament on a tree or a wall and enjoy!