What You Need:
- Leaf patterns (you can create your own)
- Black marker
- White butcher paper, cut into 18- by 21-inch rectangles
- Paint smocks
- Red and yellow tempra paint
- Paintbrushes (optional)
- Copies of a poem about fall leaves or fall (see samples under Extension Ideas)
What You Do:
- Create leaf patterns in various leaf shapes, such as maple, oak, ginkgo, or elm.
- With a marker and your pattern, trace leaf shapes onto the butcher-paper rectangles.
- Students cut out the leaf shapes.
- Pass out smocks, paint, and paintbrushes.
- Students decorate the leaves using paintbrushes or their fingers.
- Allow the leaves to dry completely.
- Let students glue a poem to the back of the leaf.