Here is my 5-step procedure for how to intervene:
- Itemize the task aspects of the assessment. For the summary writing, the task aspects are: understood story read; wrote what happened in the beginning, middle and end; and, generalized the story in student's own words.
- Analyze what aspects of the task the student did and which ones were not done. In the example of summary writing, the aspects to look for are: Did the student write what happened in the beginning, middle, and end? If so, where the events written, the main ideas in the beginning, middle, and end? Did the student write with too many details or too few details?
- Group the students who have similar needs so that re-teaching is efficient.
- Re-teach using a different approach from the one used in the previous instruction.
- Assess again with the same task but use different content (i.e. different book).