Scholastic’s “Reggie the Rhyming Rhino” activity (PreK–K) features a fun, language-loving character who takes students to familiar places (and maybe some new) around town, where they have to name objects that rhyme. This activity helps children develop an awareness of patterns in language.
First, students pick a place for their language adventure with Reggie. Twelve options include a store, firehouse, airport, zoo, home, and more.
Then, students click on an object to hear how it’s pronounced, and have to choose another object (from three options) that rhymes.
By participating in the Reggie the Rhyming Rhino activity, young students will:
- Develop vocabulary skills
- Distinguish different word sounds
- Recognize letter shapes and sounds
- Enhance their understanding of the community around them
- Learn to follow oral directions
- Learn to categorize familiar objects