Celebrate National Poetry Month with these resources to help you teach students how to read, write, and share poems.
With Scholastic’s “Poetry Idea Engine” interactive activity, students can practice writing their own poems. This engine, developed with GoCyberCamp, allows students to explore several types of poems.
- First, students select which type of poem they’d like to write: a limerick, haiku, cinquain, or free verse.
- The engine offers students a definition of the poem, then generates a poem with missing words. Students can choose from a list of words to complete the poem.
- When they’re finished, students can print their poem, or play again!
While participating in the "Poetry Idea Engine" activity, students become proficient with these skills:
- Identify unique characteristics of the poetry genre
- Practice poetry writing skills such as rhythm, rhyming, and descriptive vocabulary