The “Observe” activity, part of Scholastic’s Weather Watch series, employs visual observation to help students build basic science inquiry skills — how to observe a subject and record data. This three-step activity includes:
- Step 1: Learn the Facts An introduction to the four types of clouds provides key background knowledge, so students know what to look for.
- Step 2: Observe & Record Now, students watch the clouds and write down what they notice (using Scholastic’s printable form), including if the clouds are dropping rain.
- Step 3: Take the Quiz Students show off what they’ve learned with this five-question, multiple-choice cloud challenge.
While participating in Weather Watch’s “Observe” activity, students will:
- Formulate questions to help guide their own learning
- Gain knowledge of weather terms and their appropriate usage
- Use observation skills to determine current weather conditions