Scholastic’s “Mount Everest Glossary” (grades 3–8) helps students develop vocabulary associated with mountain climbing and Edmund Hillary’s Mount Everest adventure. The 18 vocabulary words include the following:
- Assault team: Two or more climbers who attempt to reach a mountain summit.
- Cornice: An overhanging mass of hardened snow at the edge of a ridge, usually formed by wind.
- Porter: A person who carries supplies.
- Sirdar: A Sherpa leader on a mountaineering or trekking expedition.
- Traverse: (v.), To cross a mountain slope; (n.), a steep slope that has to be climbed from side to side.
- Develop vocabulary and factual knowledge associated with mountain climbing, Sir Edmund Hillary, and Mount Everest