“Explore Hugo Cabret,” an online literary experience from Scholastic’s Flashlight Readers, gives fans of The Invention of Hugo Cabret more from their favorite read, with activities, slideshows, video, and much more.
- Listen and watch the author share his writing and illustrating process of the book with “Inventing Hugo Cabret.”
- Discover Hugo Cabret by listening and following along to this audio excerpt of the mystery.
- Browse a slideshow of Selznick’s drafts of the cover to see how it evolved with “Invention of Cover.”
- Watch the Author Video to find out what inspired him to write the Invention of Hugo Cabret.
- Collect everything they need to build their own automaton collection.
- Move Hugo around the Mechanical Maze, answering questions as they go.
- Put their know-how to the test as they build and repair mechanical men with Automaton Workbench!
- Use the Book Creator to create their own original, printable stories!
- Meet the Author with this brief bio of Selznick.
- Read a Q&A with Brian Selznick, where he discusses the writing process, his favorite books as a kid, and more.
- Read “More from Brian Selznick” on other books he’s illustrated.
- Get recommendations for More Best Books that Hugo Cabret fans will love.
While participating in “Flashlight Readers,” students will:
- Offer observations, make connections, react, speculate, interpret, and raise questions in response to text
- Identify and discuss book themes, characters, plots, and settings
- Connect their experiences with those of the author and/or with characters from the books
- Support predictions, interpretations, conclusions, etc. with examples from text
- Practice key reading skills and strategies (cause-and-effect, problem/solution, compare-and-contrast, summarizing, etc.)
- Monitor their own comprehension
- Discuss ideas from the book with you, the author, and/or other students online
A guide to the online club that invites beginning through advanced-level readers to enter the world of quality books and communicate with favorite authors.