The Write It: Humor activity incorporates interactive tutorials, exercises, publishing opportunities, message boards, and creative ideas to help students transform funny ideas into hilarious stories.
The activity features five main sections:
- Brainstorm: These four exercises help students tap into their wit and imagination.
- Draft: Students learn how to employ the elements of surprise and parody. Plus, they learn how to exploit their most embarrassing moments with help from bestselling humorist David Sedaris!
- Review: How to offer and receive feedback from others.
- Revise: Students find four ways to improve their humorous pieces — or how to go back to the drawing board and try a new idea.
- Polish: How to proof for silly mistakes, such as misspellings or incorrect grammar.
- Students can chat with fellow writers to get feedback on their writing.
- Jenna, 18, shares her work of humor, "Just Face It."
- Students study the genre of humor writing and select mentor texts.
- Students may use this interactive site to develop a humorous essay.