Set against the backdrop of fascinating but volatile world events, "The Flight of Amelia Earhart" provides a unique opportunity for students (grades 4–8) to study the enduring legacy of an American hero.
- The World of Amelia Earhart Timeline combines important events from her life with major world events of the time, offering a historical context for young readers.
- In Meet a Pioneer Pilot, students meet Sylvia Barter, a female trailblazer and contemporary of Amelia's, and learn about the challenges women faced in the early part of the 20th century.
- Finally, the Write a News Story writing activity allows students to demonstrate their grasp of the historical content by writing an article for The Earhart Gazette.
While participating in "The Flight of Amelia Earhart" project, students become proficient with several standards-based skills. Students will:
- Identify character traits that fulfill personal goals
- Use technology to research the life and accomplishments of an important American figure
- Use technology to tour Web sites about significant global events from early 20th-century history
- Compare and contrast the accomplishments of two notable women
- Write a news account of an American hero based on biographical information
This activity is also a part of the Women Who Changed History student activity.
Students study the legacy of Amelia Earhart with this online activity. It includes a timeline of important events from Earhart's life, as well as major world events of the time.