Plan your year ahead with these teacher-tested multimedia units including audio and online publishing resources for students, plus lesson plans and free printables for you.
Flashlight Readers is an interactive literacy experience that lets readers enter the world of books and communicate with their favorite authors. Each activity based on a highly-taught, popular title offers community-building learning activities, author chats, and slideshows, all while encouraging essential reading and writing skills.
While participating in Flashlight Readers, students will:
- Offer observations, make connections, react, speculate, interpret, and raise questions in response to text
- Identify and discuss book themes, characters, plots, and settings
- Connect their experiences with those of the author and/or with characters from the books
- Support predictions, interpretations, conclusions, etc. with examples from text
- Practice key reading skills and strategies (cause-and-effect, problem/solution, compare-and-contrast, summarizing, etc.)
- Monitor their own comprehension
- Discuss ideas from the book with you, the author, and/or other students online
Go Directly to the Activities
Learn More About Each Activity
Students can create a character scrapbook, navigate a maze using clues from the book, watch an author video, read early drafts of the book, and more.
Readers can choose their own adventure and create a story — both based on the book's plots — browse photos of the author, and listen to an audio recording of the author.
Students help Hugo grab parts for his automata in a maze, build their own “Mechanical Men,” listen to exclusive audio with the author, and view his sketches.
Due to changing concerns about privacy and web safety for children, we are no longer supporting Web Hunts, Webquests, Internet Field Trips, and Math Hunts activities for students. This site will continue to offer high-quality educational resources for teachers. Explore some of the most popular and highly-taught activities, below.