Guide students through their study of dinosaurs with these articles, lesson plans, online learning activities, and writing assignments.
Scholastic's Dinosaur Picture Book activity (Grades 3–5) introduces students to Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins, the first person to draw pictures of dinosaurs in the 1850s. Students also meet the talented illustrator Brian Selznick and have the chance to preview his picture book The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins. It brings Hawkins and a variety of dinosaurs back to life!
Students can click through a slideshow of Selznick’s illustrations and read his explanations of them.
Fans of Selznick will also love our video interview with Selznick, where he shares how he got the idea for his award-winning book The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Students can play Hugo-related online activities and catch a behind-the-scenes video.
- Improve content-area reading skills, such as distinguishing between real and make-believe
- Develop a context for the study of dinosaurs
- Use technology to gain a basic understanding of dinosaur characteristics
- Use technology as a mode of inquiry to access information from experts
- Improve content-area reading skills, such as reading for detail