“Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White,” part of the Flashlight Readers literary experience, gives fans of the classic book more of the story and characters they love.
- Celebrate Charlotte’s love of words with the Pick-the-Perfect-Word activity, which challenges their vocabulary and word analysis skills.
- Make their own comic strip in which they decide what happens to Wilbur and his friends!
- Browse a slideshow of images from the movie Charlotte’s Web.
- Meet the producer of Charlotte’s Web, who offers an inside look at the making of the movie.
- Browse (and read) a slideshow of spiders, from the tarantula to the brown recluse.
- Meet the author, E.B. White, by reading this brief bio of him.
- Check out more best books, including E.B. White’s other children’s books, plus great books about farm life.
While participating in “Flashlight Readers,” students will:
- Offer observations, make connections, react, speculate, interpret, and raise questions in response to text
- Identify and discuss book themes, characters, plots, and settings
- Connect their experiences with those of the author and/or with characters from the books
- Support predictions, interpretations, conclusions, etc. with examples from text
- Practice key reading skills and strategies (cause-and-effect, problem/solution, compare-and-contrast, summarizing, etc.)
- Monitor their own comprehension