Come explore some of the most popular and highly-taught activities at Scholastic.
The interactive Character Scrapbook is a great way to engage students and help them form a deeper understanding of a book's characters. It works with almost any fiction or nonfiction book, and can be used individually or as a whole class.
- On one side of the scrapbook, students will create an image of the character, including animal characters, by simply clicking or dragging their mouse to create features.
- Students can also print a blank version to draw their character from scratch.
- On the other side of the scrapbook, students will identify and list important character traits by using the arrows to click through various themes such as "Ten Challenges [the character] Faced" and "Ten Words That Describe [the character]" and typing in details about the characters they chose.
While participating in the Character Scrapbook project, students become proficient with several standards-based skills.
- Discuss and identify different types of character traits for characters in a fiction or nonfiction book
- Generate lists of traits about a specific character in a book that the class or student is reading
- Create a scrapbook featuring a personalized image and character traits of the character
Students can use the Character Scrapbook activity to analyze characters and create and print a scrapbook. This teaching guide supports the Character Scrapbook activity for use with any book.