This activity is noisy and energetic — just like your toddler!
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Gross Motor Skills
What you need:
- lightweight balls (such as Wiffle balls, tennis balls, or light rubber balls)
- large plastic or metal bowl
What to do:
- Gather a collection of various lightweight balls.
- Show your toddler how to drop the balls into the bowl.
- As the balls drop, encourage your toddler to listen carefully.
- Try to describe the sounds the different balls make for your toddler. He may not be able to describe the differences, but listening to them develops auditory discrimination and comparison skills.
- For older toddlers, move the bowl farther away and practice tossing in the balls.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 0-2