Craft supplies you’ll need:
- Scissors, knife, or box cutter
- Cardboard box (approximately 17'' x 13'' x 13'') and two flat cardboard pieces (approximately 24'' x 24'')
- White and gold craft paint or spray paint
- Duct tape, white
- White cloth ribbon (approximately 36'', cut evenly in 2 pieces)
- Colored card stock
- Hot glue gun
- Tissue streamers, various colors
- Two gold pipe cleaners
- Box of macaroni and cheese
Clothing you’ll need:
- Leggings or tights
- Cute top or T-shirt
- Colored socks
- High-tops or sneakers
- Fingerless gloves
For the unicorn body:
1. Cut off the bottom flaps from the box. Paint the box white.
2. Tape the top of the box with white duct tape. On the top of the box, cut a circle or an oval big enough to fit your child. Make two slits on the box front and two slits on the box back for the ribbon. Thread white ribbon through the slits to create shoulder straps; tie knots at ends on the inside of the box to adjust for your child’s size.
3. Cut 6 stars from colored card stock and hot-glue 3 stars to each side of the unicorn's body.
For the unicorn head:
1. Use the unicorn head template to cut two identical unicorn heads from the flat cardboard pieces.
2. Paint the head cutouts white and the horn gold. Hot-glue colored tissue streamers to the back of one of the cutout heads for the unicorn's mane. Hot-glue the second head to the back of the first head so they sandwich the streamers.
3. Hot-glue two gold pipe cleaners to the horn. Cut two eyes from colored card stock and hot-glue to each side of the head.
To attach the head to the body:
1. Determine which side of the box the unicorn head will go on.
2. Cut a slit on the top flap and into the box front just large enough to insert the unicorn neck. Position the head and secure it with duct tape on both sides of the neck inside the box.
3. For a counterweight, duct tape the box of macaroni and cheese to inside of the box under the tail.
For the unicorn tail:
1. Cut 20 to 30 colored tissue streamers the same size (28'') for the tail.
2. Gather streamers together in groups of 5, and twist together at one end.
3. Cut a small hole in the top of the box back and push the twisted end of streamers into the hole; secure with duct tape.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-13