The Real Me
What you need:
- pencils with erasers
- crayons or colored pencils
What to do:
1. Invite your child to draw a self-portrait without a mirror.
2. Next, let your child use a mirror as she draws her self-portrait. Ask her to pay close attention to what she sees.
3. Here are some helpful hints and questions for your child:
- What shape is your face? What shape is your chin?
- How close together are your eyes? Are they in the middle of your head or near the top?
- How close is your mouth to your nose?
- Where do your ears appear in relation to your mouth, eyes, and nose?
4. After your child finishes, compare the two portraits. Is she surprised at the differences between them?
- develops observation skills
- provides practice in comparing and contrasting
- supports drawing skills
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 5-7