Get creative with this African art form.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- 1 piece white cloth
- 1/2 cup brown tempera paint
- 1/2 cup blue tempera paint
- 1 cup dirt
- mixing bowl
What to do:
- Prepare the dirt by placing it in a strainer and running water over it. Sift the mud into the mixing bowl and pour out some of the excess water.
- Stir the blue and brown paint into the mud until it is completely mixed.
- What design would your child like to paint? She may want to sketch it on the cloth with a pencil before starting to paint.
- Use the paint and mud mixture to paint a design on the cloth. You may want to place the cloth on top of newspapers to catch spills or drips.
- Let the paint dry and then add a second coat on top of the first. Let the cloth dry completely.
- Encourage your child to use Internet or library resources to learn more about mudcloths and the cultures that paint them. She might even find some new designs she would like to try!
- inspires creativity
- encourages exploration of another culture
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 8-10