What you need:
- Construction paper
- Four pieces of 8½" by 11" cardboard
- Colored duct tape or fabric tape
- Stickers, stamps, or other art materials
- 12 inches of ribbon or string
What to do:
- Discuss the concept of measurement. Show your child a ruler and invite him to share what he already knows about it. Explain that 12 inches is also called a foot and that these units are used to see how tall a person is (also known as height).
- Make your own growth chart. Arrange the sheets of cardboard so that the short ends are almost touching. Create a hinge between the pieces of cardboard by placing tape along the short edges, leaving a bit of space between the pieces.
- With your child, glue colorful sheets of construction paper to the cardboard pieces. Using a ruler, mark each foot. If you like, you can also mark the inches with dots.
- Invite your child to decorate the chart with stickers, stamps, drawings, or other materials. Attach the ribbon to the top of the chart to make a loop for hanging.