What you need:
- 21 toothpicks, beans, or other small markers
What to do:
- Explain to your child that this game is over 1,000 years old. Can he think of any games he enjoys that other kids might enjoy 1,000 years in the future?
- To play the game, arrange the toothpicks (or other markers) in a single row.
- Taking turns, you and your child can pick up one, two, or three sticks at a time.
- The player to pick up the last stick loses.
- As a follow-up activity, search online or at the library for other Chinese games, or games from other Asian cultures.
From The Multicultural Game Book by Louise Orlando
(Scholastic Professional Books)