1. Start with a pair of knit gloves. Any color will do!
2. Gather supplies—craft glue, paint, paint brushes, and scissors—and tons of adornments, including feathers, pom-pom trim, chenille stems, felt, googly eyes, yarn, and bright wool roving (perfect for adding a mane).
3. If you are painting stripes on the glove, wait until the paint has dried before adding other elements to your creature. (Hint: Stuff the glove with newspaper before painting so the sides don’t stick together.)
4. To add a face, glue googly eyes to the index finger. Snip felt teeth and glue between the index finger and thumb,creating a toothy mouth.
5. Encourage kids to save their creations for indoor play: They won’t hold up well in rain or snow.
Customize any creature you can conjure! Try these on for size:
Photo Credit: Aaron Dyer