For the soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Half of the prepped onion (or 1 onion, chopped)
- Two-thirds of the prepped red bell pepper (or 2 peppers, chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- Reserved roasted tomato halves (or 4 roasted tomatoes)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 slice baguette, 1 inch thick, torn into pieces
- Torn fresh basil, for topping
For the toasts
- 8 slices baguette, ½ inch thick
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices prosciutto, halved
1. Make the soup. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the onion, peppers, and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 6 minutes.
2. Transfer the onion and peppers to a food processor along with the tomatoes, chicken broth, and torn baguette slice; puree until smooth. Pour the soup into a saucepan and heat.
3. Make the toasts: Preheat the broiler. Toast the baguette under the broiler. Immediately rub with cut side of the garlic. Divide the cheese among the toasts, then broil until melted. Top each with prosciutto. Sprinkle the soup with basil and serve with the toasts.
More Quick Dinners
Cheesy Orzo with Bacon & Peas
BBQ Chicken with Ranch Couscous Salad
Scallops with Snow Peas & Tomatoes
Lemon Chicken with Tomato Rice and Broccoli
PHOTO: Christina Holmes