What you need:
- 12 ounces cooked ham
- 3 medium-sized onions
- 2 teaspoons pure vegetable oil
- 12 ounces long-grain brown rice
- 1 quart water
- 3 large parsnips
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 pound cooking apples
- Sugar or honey to sweeten slightly
What to do:
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and cook onions over a low heat until they are soft and golden. Add the rice and ham. Stir well.
- Add the water. Bring to a boil. Then cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cut carrots and parsnip into thin 2-inch strips and add to the rice.
- Add orange juice.
- Simmer until the liquid is gone. Then remove the lid, raise the heat slightly, and cook for a few minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut apples into wedges.
- Fill a smaller saucepan with water and cook the apples over medium-high heat for a few minutes until tender (don't allow the apples to fall apart).
- Drain apples and sweeten slightly with honey or sugar.
- Serve rice with apple slices in a border around it.