What you need:
- fabric and felt pieces (or baby mittens)
- aromatic fillers such as lavender, cinnamon, dried orange peel, clove, dried rose petals
- scissors (child and adult)
What to do:
- Set out your assortment of pleasant-smelling items and invite your child to sample them. Encourage her to experiment by mixing different bits together to create her own scent.
- Introduce the word sachet to your child. Explain that a sachet is a little bag that contains sweet-smelling items and that people can put them in their homes or in a drawer to make everything smell nicer.
- Together, you can make sachets as gifts. With your child, cut pieces of fabric and felt and fill with different scented materials. Encourage her to name her fragrance.
- Sew or glue the sachets closed or tie them with ribbon. Decorate your sachets by gluing ribbon or fabric scraps to them.
- introduces science
- promotes language development
- encourages artistic expression