Read Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper and prepare this surprisingly tasty soup together. Yum! Makes about 5 cups.
What you need:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cups chicken stock, homemade or canned low sodium
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 15 oz. can 100% pure pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
What to do:
- Heat a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions, garlic, potato, sage, and nutmeg. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and sauté until onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add 3 cups chicken broth, cover pan, and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until potatoes are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Working in small batches, invite your child to help you purée the potato mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return soup to the pan.
- Whisk in the remaining 2 cups broth, pumpkin, maple syrup and Parmesan. Add salt and pepper if desired. Heat on medium low for about 10 minutes.
- Divide into servings, top with croutons (optional), and serve.
Photo Credit: antares71/Thinkstock