- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp red food coloring
- 6 tbsp butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 whole egg plus 2 yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 oz butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Red and pink candy
What to do:
1. Line an 8" x 8" square cake tin with baking parchment, coming part way up the sides of the tin. Preheat the oven to 350?F. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Heat milk until lukewarm. Add food coloring; set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat together egg, yolks, and vanilla. Beat into butter. Mix in 1/3 of the flour, then half the milk, 1/3 of the flour, the rest of the milk, and finally the remaining flour.
4. Spread batter into prepared tin evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cake is risen, and a skewer inserted into center comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool for 30 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
5. For icing, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla.
6. Turn cake right side up onto a cutting board. Cut out 4 hearts using a 4” cutter.
7. Split the cakes in half horizontally. Spread 1/4 of the icing over the 4 bases and sandwich the hearts. Ice the tops and sides of cakes with remaining icing. Decorate with red and pink sweets. Store cakes in a cool place in airtight containers.
Makes 4 cakes
Photo Credit: Dave King