Serves 6 to 8
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz baby red potatoes (about 10), chopped
- 1½ cups dry brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems removed,
- leaves roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, lentils, broth, bay leaf, and thyme.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat so liquid is just simmering; cover and cook 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in kale and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until kale and lentils are tender. Stir in red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf.
Transfer the cooked soup to several resealable containers and let cool. Cover and freeze. To reheat, transfer the soup to a pot and warm over medium heat.
4 MORE FREEZABLE FAMILY DINNERS
Photo Credit: Ryan Liebe